For those who want to learn Cantonese, this is how you should start.
No, I am not going to teach Cantonese in this blog (well, at least not in the traditional way). There are so many wonderful resources out there on the Internet. Why would I want to waste my time reinventing the wheel?
Instead, I am going to give you an orientation package. Yes, it is just like the one new hires would receive on day 1 when working in a large company. The package will show you the ropes (or pointers to the ropes). Then you will be on your own.
3 things to setup in your web-browser
- Bookmark the Cantonese sounds database. Don't worry if you don't know how to use it now.
- Setup the CantoDict Firefox plugin by following these steps. IE users, get Firefox now!
- Learn a Cantonese romanization system. I personally recommend Jyutping.
- Get familiar with the 6 Cantonese tones. There are tons of resources out there on the Internet. Skip over those materials which tell you Cantonese has 9 tones. Pick the ones with audio demonstrations. This one has a nice diagram. This one has good audio.
- Start learning some basic phrases. Here is a good link.